The kettlebell is a round shaped free weight, with a flat base and an arced handle. The simple and innocent look contradicts its usefulness as an amazing exercise tool used by Russians and the Russian Army to keep very fit. They are small and portable, hence, can be manipulated in several ways by throwing, juggling, pressing, holding and moving them.
They are very effective for weight loss, toning of body muscles, improving cardiovascular fitness and strength, maintaining joint health, improving mobility and stability. We shall look at some popular exercise routines that can be carried out using the kettle bell.
• Take an upright position by standing and holding the kettlebell with both hands.
• The knees and hips are bent so that you can swing the kettlebell through your legs.
• Swing the kettlebell forward up to chest height by thrusting hips forward and standing straight.
• Repeat this movement for 3 rounds of 20 repetitions.
TARGET: Posterior chain (glutes, hamstring, shoulders, back)
WINDMILL BOTH ARMS:
• Keep your legs, shoulder wide apart and fully locked
• Slowly lean towards one side, while keeping the core engaged and a fairly stiff upper body facing forward.
• The arm that is facing up should always be fully locked.
TARGET: Core, lats, obliques and shoulders
• Lie down in the sit up position with a light kettlebell to your side
• Keep your legs slightly bent
• Pick up the kettlebell from your side and perform a twisting motion carrying the kettlebell to the opposite side and back again. Go as far back as you comfortably can without overextending
Note: Make the movement slow and controlled.
• Assume a crawling position with a large kettlebell in each hand.
• Start crawling around while the lower back is kept nice and straight.
TWO- ARM EXTENSION HOLD:
• Assume a hip-width stance, position the kettlebell out in front of you while holding it with both hands.
• Both arms should be held straight throughout the exercise routine.
• Hold this position for 30 seconds to one minute depending on the intensity you desire.
• Repeat hold for 3-5 times.
• For a challenge, sit back in a squat and hold the weight, out in front of you.
FAT LOSS WORKOUT
This workout is for people who want to lose fat. Here, the main focus of the kettlebells is full body workouts where the whole body moves as one and there’s no isolation movement giving a quicker and intense workout.
Women: 8kg pair of kettlebells
Men: 16kg pair of kettlebells
(This is probably right for a lot of beginners, based on their of experience)
Medicine ball, approximately 5kg, you can make use of weight plates, or water bottles (1 liter is approximate 1 kg)
You will need an open space, free from children or pets, to prevent harm if you were to drop the kettlebell.
1. Double handed kettlebell swing
Target reps: 15
2. Clean and press
Target reps: 12-15 each arm
3. Russian twist (legs straight)
Target reps: 8 repetitions each side.
4. Double push-up lifts off
Target reps: 12-15 reps each side
5. Single-leg RDL
Target reps: 15 reps each side
Target reps: 12 reps each side